Monday, September 17, 2007

8 Reminders That I Live in Bosnia



There are certain moments when it hits me all at once...."I'm raising a family in Bosnia!" Some recent moments are:


8) We had to wait for sheep to cross the road so we could keep driving.


7) I didn't have a kitchen window for 6 days this month...just open air!!! The man who is fixing it had to order a part from Slovenia.


6) The children were in awe when I brought home eggs from the local store...because they were WHITE!


5) I warned the babysitter not to let the kids touch the SYTHE hanging in the tree. (We use this to "mow" the yard).


4) Jason and my recent conversations have revolved around which cement wall to punch a hole through to vent the wood stove.


3) I have received mail exactly twice this month.


2) I showed the kids a map of the USA and Rachel said... "Where's Russia?"


1) I heard myself say, "Hey kids! Come watch daddy light the chimney on fire!"

6 comments:

LeAnne said...

Sigh... the good ole days!

You still need to come visit me one day. I'll show you all the Croatian quirks :)

I actually need a scythe... my grass is scary high!

Miss ya!

Marlene Depler said...

All the subtle and not so subtle differences!!!! Always love the photos!

Angelina said...

LOL, you should start you're own, "you know you're in Bosnia when... or you've been in Bosnia too long when..." column for this blog:)

Shannon B. said...

Hi Paula, I have been peeking in on your blog linked over from Jennifer Wood's blog! I am always intrigued to see what your life is like over there in Bosnia. We have a small Bosnian community where I live here in So. california, and a few are employed at my church too. Do you have any more pictures of your home to post?? Your family is beautiful! Also, I don't know if I missed it in your earlier posts, but I was wondering what kind of work your family is doing in Bosnia.
Thanks,
Shannon (Kaltenbach) Berg
(Jennifer's old roommate)

Mom on the Go said...

hey shannon! its cool that you check my blog...i'll have to peek at yours too. if you give me your email address, i'll send you some more info about our work here. :) paula

Anonymous said...

That's a great list!! :)