Thursday, June 12, 2008

Culture Collsion

It happends all the time... You live in another culture long enough that you momentarily forget what is normal in your own culture.

I was flying last week and was seated next to a young mom and her 15 month old baby. She was nervous because the baby was really fussy. When the child began to wail I really wanted to help. That is when it happened...I thought to my self, "I know! I have a chocolate bar in my purse!" Yes... I really contemplated giving chocolate to an 15 month old who I don't even know!!! Just how many American cultural rules does this break?!! Then I started laughing at how horrified I had been for at least a year in Bosnia as strangers offered my children candy....even my littlest...who was barely one year old. I'm still chuckling about this culture collision.

In America a "good" mom protects her child from any possible or theoretical danger... including not permitting chocolate at very young ages.
In Bosnia a "good" mom does nearly anything to keep a child happy...including permitting chocolate at very young ages.

And the search continues... how to be a "good" mom...

2 comments:

Marlene Depler said...

I'm still trying to figure out what it means to be a good mom!!! Do we ever figure that out? I think we pray and then do the best we know how.

At my age, my KIDS give me chocolate, and I love it. Maybe they think it keeps my from being fussy!!!! Ha!

AB said...

That is a seriously deep thought. All I know is that no on is perfect - but thankfully we get to start new every day..

I did give my niece chocolate before she was 15 months - and she is always good for me : )