Thursday, June 26, 2008

Trophies of Motherhood

Being a mom is the "best, hardest, most fufilling, depleting, longest, but goes-by-in-a-blink" job in the world. With other careers or endevors there are ladders climbed, corporate advancements, accolades, and acheivement awards. In the last 8 years the only ladders I have climbed have been at the playground and I consider it an advancement that I haven't bought diapers for a year! The awards...well, they come in random ways and not at all when you expect. This week I noted a couple of those awards:

A suspicious grin...a uncontainable boyish giggle...a request... "Mom, I have a surprise for you in my pocket." Out jumps a toad!! Uproarious laughter... a feigned response of shock and horor...more laughter! Twinkling eyes...glowing with glee. "I got-cha that time mommy!"

Quite in the basement...still quite...w-a-y too quite in the basement. Down the stairs...thump...thump..thump... Smiling daughter. "Hi, Mommy! Guess what I've been doing?" "Ummm...I really have no idea, honey." mild trepidation....open the door...five year old pride..."Look what I did!"...relief....confusion... little blonde girl, big grin...wanting to please... "I cleaned your room for you Mommy! It sure was messy!"

Little boy...sunny bed-head...the morning groogies...wiggle into my bed. "Dood morning, mommy! I wuv you."

Can't hang them on the wall or place them on the mantle, but I've got a room full of treasures. Gleaming, shining like jewels on the dark days... priceless trophies of motherhood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You said it so well! and you brought tears to my eyes. Where are you?? Call me when you can :)