Thursday, July 10, 2008

Useless Skills

Adjusting back to the States after having lived in a much different culture for the last three years is a bit weird. I spent so much time trying to aquire another culture/language and now I feel like those skills are completely useless! Here are a few silly examples...
-I can sucessfully use, and give advice on using, a Turkish toilet ("squaty potty").
-I can talk the produce market workers down to a reasonable price when buying tomatoes by insulting his products.
-I can navigate all forms of public transportation in another language and spot possible theives.
-I can drink strong Bosnian coffee several times a day and still fall asleep with ease.
-I can chop wood and cook a three course meal on a little wood stove.
-I can make my own pancake syrup.
-I can drive and park a van on roads smaller than an alley with ease.
-I have developed a taste for roasted goat and sheep cheese and meat paste.
What is a girl to do with these useless skills!?

2 comments:

LeAnne said...

Yep, I hear ya :)

therambler said...

you forgot to mention that said van is a stick shift with no power steering! you are missed girlfriend! talk to ya soon.